Have your base (classes) covered!
In spite of what I wrote in my previous blog post, I realized I need to create one more department before I can finally tackle the Build Menu: The Management department. Like the Design department, this one works differently from the production floors. This makes a difference from the coding point of view – as I want a base class to take care of all floors, and then handle only specialized stuff in derived classes. And like I said, I want all my bases covered.
The idea was that a Management floor can employ up to four development directors. Each director would allow for one game to be in production. This way the player can work on multiple games at the same time. But I made a pretty noobish mistake when creating the above mockup – I hadn’t given any thought to the aspect ratio of my floors.
Aspect Ratio, anyone?
When creating the actual game graphics for this floor based on this mockup, I ran into some trouble. I hadn’t really thought about aspect ratios and screen width when I created those images. That was a big mistake, as it turns out. The mockup screens were too wide. There was simply no room left on the right side of the screen for the two big purple buttons, not unless I scaled the height down. But then everything else in the floor would become tiny. To counteract, I would have to scale up the characters. But then I didn’t have enough room above the head of the managers to put the actual game icons. My characters were simply too big.
So I redesigned that department completely. Here’s the result (middle floor):
Instead of placing the icons above the characters’ heads, they were placed next to them, sorta like a PowerPoint screen in the background. It actually gives it a nice manager look and feel. And as a bonus, this will free up some screen space at the top of each floor where I have been wanting to put a floor number. In another change, the Release and Trash buttons on the right are done away with. Instead, scripts can be released or trashed by clicking on them and opening up their details dialog.
I definitely learned my lesson and will create future mockups in a sensible aspect ratio.
Now, this time for real – next up is going to be the build menu.